Saturday, February 23, 2008

Eight is plenty (I know there's a catchier way to say it, but I can't think of it right off)

Despite having only six healthy players at the start of the day yesterday, the Cavaliers won a game last night against the Washington Wizards. Having LeBron James on your team sure helps. The Wizards were without their two best players, Gilbert Arenas and Caron Butler, but the Cavs were without the four guys they just traded for, awaiting the results of their physicals. Why it takes so dad-gummed long for an NBA physical, I have no idea, but Ben Wallace, Wally Szczerbiak, Delonte West and Joe Smith must have enjoyed the show from the luxury box.

The Cavs had eight men in uniform, having scrambled to sign D-Leaguers Billy Thomas and Kaniel Dickens to 10-day contracts. But LeBron put in his usual MVP-caliber performance, cementing the 90-89 win with two free throws with 7.8 seconds left; and Damon Jones, playing 44 minutes in his first start of the season (and probably last), put in 27 points. He was impressive, and I'd say he earned some more playing time. I'd like it if he'd get a less-goofy haircut, if I'm going to have to look at him more, but if he keeps draining 3s, he can wear his hair however he wants.

That was fun to watch. But I look forward to seeing the real new-look Cavs on Sunday.

No comments: