Thursday, January 24, 2008

You can't Betancourt

The Indians have given their best reliever a two-year contract with a club option for a third year. Frankly, I'd like to see Rafael Betancourt get another shot to be the closer. Joe Borowski saved 45 games last year, but he also blew eight saves, and he's 36 (hell, he's a month older than I am, and I'm certainly no closer). Borowski's ERA was a pretty ugly 5.07 for the season, and some of his blown saves were particularly gruesome. Not to mention some non-save-situation games he pitched. Anyone remember that game against the New York *#&^ing Yankees when the Indians were leading by four runs with nobody on and two outs in the ninth? I know he led the AL in saves last year, but I'm still very nervous about having the guy who lost that game as my closer.

Betancourt got a shot as the closer in 2004, and didn't do well. He blew seven saves and converted four. But outside of that, he's been lights-out. He's got a career ERA of 2.80, and he allowed three-quarters of a baserunner per inning last year. That's pretty damned impressive. Not bad for a guy who started his professional career as a middle infielder, then learned to pitch and didn't even reach the majors until he was 28.

So, anyway, yeah, I'm glad he's on our team.

In the unlikely event that this is not enough for you to read about Betancourt's deal, here's another blogger who's gone into a bit more depth. It's good stuff.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That link to the other guy's blog was good. It looks like he's got some good stuff on his blog, so I bookmarked that too. That stuff on Dana Jacobson is crazy! I read that Tribune story, how funny.

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve,

I also like the Cleveland Indians. It's good to find folks who like them out here in Lakewood. Now I don't feel so alone and angry.

Thanks,

Charles R. Lakewood

Inventor of Lakewood