Saturday, January 26, 2008

It's raining 3s

It seems our Cavaliers set a new franchise record last night. And not in a good way.

The Phoenix Suns hit 17 three-pointers on their way to a 110-108 squeaker over the Cavs. They took 33 shots from beyond the arc, which works out to 51.5 percent 3-point shooting. Truth is, I didn't see the game; I went out last night and forgot to DVR it. But those numbers tell me our boys didn't get any hands in the Suns' faces. Steve Nash, the only 6-foot white Canadian ever to be named MVP of the NBA, hit seven of nine. That's just crazy.

This was the Cavs' first game since Sasha Pavlovic went down with a sprained foot. Sasha was mostly in the starting lineup for his defense (his offense has been pretty lame all season), so Mike Brown chose to replace him with alleged defensive wizard Ira Newble. Newble is by all accounts a fine human being, and he and I went to the same college, but the box score tells me he didn't do much. Defense can be hard to quantify, and he did get three steals in his 12 minutes, but he also scored zero points, got one rebound, and committed two turnovers and two fouls. You can't start a guy in an NBA game who's not going to give you more than that.

I don't know why Boobie Gibson hasn't been starting all season, frankly. Sasha's got some skills, but Boobie's got more, if you ask me. If Mike Brown calls me today, I'm going to tell him to start Boobie.

No comments: