Sunday, June 1, 2008

Congratulations, Manny

One of the greatest hitters ever to wear an Indians uniform, Manny Ramirez, reached the 500-homer club yesterday. He did it in his 16th major-league season, eighth with the Boston Red Sox. Most of the Indians fans I've talked to in recent years have come to hate the Red Sox, which is understandable considering they've become the team that outspends everybody but the Yankees, and many of us still resent the way Manny left. Personally, I've long since forgiven him, and I generally wish him well, though I do almost always root for the Red Sox to lose these days. (I think you Red Sox fans can understand that, as your team has become a kind of Yankees Jr. And I know you guys are reading this, because every time I post something about a Boston team, I get about 10 times as many hits as when I stick to the Browns, Cavs and Indians. Which makes me think I should just make this a Boston blog. But I can't do that, so forget it.)

When Ramirez signed with the BoSox, I told some friends that I just hoped he would be wearing an Indians hat on his Hall of Fame plaque. But I think we all know now -- as some of my friends told me then -- that's not going to happen. And that's OK. I can't speak for all Tribe fans, but I'm content with the memories of Manny's years in Cleveland. His bat was one of the main reasons the Indians won five straight AL Central titles, reached two World Series in the '90s, and scored 1,000 runs in 1999 (still the only team that's done that since 1950). He hit 236 home runs for the Tribe, good for third on the team's all-time list, behind former teammates Jim Thome and Albert Belle. All three of those guys left Cleveland because someone else offered them more money. And I can't blame any one of them.

So congratulations, Manny. I know I don't speak for all Indians fans on this count, but I'll always love you, in a platonic baseball kind of way.

No comments: