Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Quick hits

Before I get started on sports, I'd like to get sappy for a moment. This is my first blog post as Lisa's husband, and I'm so happy about that, I just want to share it with the world. (Or at least that tiny percentage of the world that will read this.)

Now then, quick thoughts on Cleveland's three teams:

1. The Browns were utterly and totally dominated in all phases of the game Sunday in that 31-3 loss to the Packers. They were outgained 460 yards to 139, they lost the turnover battle 2-0, and even Josh Cribbs only made one decent return. Derek Anderson went 12-for-29 with an interception. The only drive that looked promising stalled when Anderson fumbled the snap inside the Packers' 5, leaving the Browns with a field goal when they should have had a touchdown. There weren't any dropped passes that I can remember this time; Anderson just plain stunk. My question: Why didn't Brady Quinn get in?

2. The Indians have hired Manny Acta as manager, just as I was hoping. Acta has not had any success in 2 1/2 seasons as a major-league manager, but he has had considerable success as a minor-league manager, and nobody could have managed those pathetic Nationals into the playoffs. Among the other candidates, only Bobby Valentine has had success at the big-league level, and I would have been OK with that pick, but I like the 40-year-old Acta's chances a little better than the 59-year-old Valentine. It's not that older men can't be good managers, I just think a younger man has slightly better odds. I look forward to seeing how this team responds to Acta.

3. The Cavaliers open the season tonight at home against the Boston Celtics. With Shaquille O'Neal on board to complement LeBron and the gang, I haven't been this excited to see the Cavs open the season since ... well, probably ever. We all know this may be LeBron's last season in Cleveland (though I believe he'll stay), but regardless of what he does next summer, we can enjoy the show this year. I think they'll go a long way.

2 comments:

lisa said...

You are the best! I love you!

hutchjohn33 said...

Congrats on your nuptials. Wish I was fired up more for the Cavs, but I'm home sick with the flu, yuk. Kind of ambivalent about Manny Acta. Browns? I quit watching for now and haven't seen the last two games. Rather refreshing!